Saturday, May 26, 2007

Last Night's Debauchery in Paradise

Not exactly debauchery but enough food, wine and booze, to respectfully SUPPORT such an occurance.
We had invited the newest members of our ex-pat community to dinner, Friday at 6. They were Jonny-on-the-spot and showed up exactly at 6. Kelly and I talked with them a short while when BRRRING! Brrrring! went the doorbell, I knew IMMEDIATELY that I had screwed the goose when Bob and Chuck's smiling faces entered the foyer. Aw Jezus...I had told Bob that he and Chuck were invited to dinner NEXT Friday...this Thursday afternoon. Talk about embarrassing moments, I felt like a complete idiot. Bob and I talked and I explained that with a 2 burner hob and facing a 6 course dinner (YES!) that it was just damned difficult to fit in 2 more TONIGHT, then in a fit of pique I said, "no problem, we'll make it work". With that I grabbed the requisite 2 chairs, moved the silverware to accommodate 2 more at the table and set out to slice another tomato and shred more basil from the garden and then plate now 6 appetizers with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. We all shared a delicious Chateaumillant Red in the parlor, the first time that room had b.een used by anyone but us. Talk, talk, talk and we became thoroughly warmed up for t and he dinner to follow. We moved an hour later to the dining room and shortly thereafter the appetiser was gone. More wine, a delicious Reuilly white, then a small pesto plate followed. I excused myself many times to check the progress of this and that and Kelly and I were like a tag team keeping track of the kitchen. With Bob and Chuck there it made for much more lively chat and covered our absences well, it turned out to be a blessing. Then the Chicken Piccata on red pepper/lemon rice and asperagus with roasted peppers were served. Plates exchanged and hauled to the middle room between the new kitchen and the dining room.
A cheese course followed, a sharp Tillamook Cheddar, a spicy English Stilton and a lovely mild goat cheese with thin slices of a white baguette. More white wine, a Quincy white, everybody commented on how absolutely delicious it was with notes of apricot, green berries and grapefruit. I wished I had bought more bottles of it. It is rare and pricy even here a few miles from it's place of origin. MORE to come...

No comments: