Saturday, May 31, 2008

Oops, arrived in New Zealand

Yes, I poked out of the sands of a beach on the south island and was NOT in China. Drank a fine Guinness Stout in a local pub and returned to my hole to turn right and head to China in a NEW Hole! Yes, another hole. I bissected the original pipe find and collaborated with the one coming from under my kitchen. A new spot. I took the 6 ft breaker bar and began the dig. We shall see if China reveals herself one day real soon now. We also read the notice given us by the Veolia man, it notes that we have ONE YEAR to complete this rerouting. Hmmmm.
___
Else, tore into the doorway wall this morning to see if the material used on the right side was also used on the left side, one never knows in these ruins. It appears it is of the same construction and so now I'll de-nude BOTH walls and the ceiling over the opening as well. The MUR (Wall) through which the doorway proceeds is some 24 inches thick of waddle and daub as they call it...basically mud and rocks (typical olde construction method) and the openning to the dining room is coverred with a very fragile layer of 1/2" thick unglazed tiles of varying sizes. Interesting... yes, delicate... yes, rustic... yes. What's to "NO" about? Well poopsie...if I shatter, break, chip, any of these fine tiles I will get to glue them back together as nowhere on this earth will you find ANYTHING like these except possibly buried behind some grass hut in outer Mongolia or maybe Botswana.
___
Then I tore apart an old picture frame and remade it in a different size for a print we got when we were in Scotland some 15 years ago! It's finally getting FRAMED in France! Amazing. Yhe whole IDEA of framing pictures in cut down frames from an early time period...seems nice, easy, cheap and ecological on some remote level. In reality it is a far more DIFFICULT thing to do as accuracy COUNTS and true 45 degree CUTS COUNT and I'm apparently not that capable as three of 4 joints are good...c- work, decent fit, small chips etc. and ONE joint is a friggin' mess of out of angle cuts and chips the size of the frame itself. It's NOT the saws I'm using either...it's ME! I need more practice you say, sure I do...but there is little time left for practice, this IS the real world, measure twice = cut once (old adage) abd get on with it! I do...and I've cited the results. Shit! I have another sitting up in the grenier (attic) to tackle any day now that I want to feel inadequate.

No comments: