Sunday, August 17, 2008

65

65, how in the world did THAT happen?! Seems improbable if not impossible. Certainly didn't expect to reach this advanced age 8-). Given that my mother died at the ripe old age of 42 of arteriosclerosis and I had not one but two heart attacks in my 50's, seems unlikely to make it this far this easily. Living here in France part-time has certainly helped ease the stresses of modern life, the village life is calm compared with a similar setting in the US of A certainly.
Given the risks I took as a growing adult had their opportunity at doing me in. I did not die in a head-on on the Golden Gate Bridge in my 69 Volkswagen in driving rain, did not become inert after falling off my BSA 441 Victor on the hill road above Stinson Beach, did not get flattened by the big rig that flew by me on the highway into San Diego when I was at a complete stop and had fallen asleep, I did not drown in the waves off of Puerto Vallarta in Mexico either...saved by Senor Cullison as I was. Many, many dangerous habits and male stupidities and I survived them all in one way or the other. Life is dangerous, being male is even more dangerous. War, illness, anxiety, risky behaviors all add up to life shortening incidents. No gun accidents though god knows there was ample opportunity there too. Held up at gun point in a phone booth in San Francisco, not good but instructive and I came out of it mad as hell but breathing normally if excitedly. As I aged I became more and more aware of my immediate and impending mortality, I willfully became more safe. I took less and less chances, did less of the activities that would, more than likely, do me in. A natural extension of aging it was and is. Now at the ripe olde age of 65 the most risk I take is walking up and down a twisty 16th century staircase. Climb or descend too fast or trip and there you go! Terrible. I walk across the street to climb into the trusty Avensis, legions of huge trucks and tractors and half-crazed French drive through the stop sign posted quite clearly at the corner. Risky? You bet. Most of all I eat anything and everything, mostly unpastuerized milk products, killer cheeses all! Burp! Delicious. And last of all I get up in the morning happy to be alive, I do THAT each and every day!
The day fairly flew by, dinner was scheduled for 6 more or less. Ann and Raj showed right on time and we shortly flew the coop bound for La Pizz in St. Amand to have pizza together.
We cruised in the Mercedes thru the verdant green countryside as I mused over being HERE and being 65. Once in town we parked at the municipal parking lot downtown and walked the block to La Pizz. The decor was light and airy and looked more Greek than Italian with a zig-zag pattern painted on the wall and naked Greek athletes on the wall adjacent to our table. Maybe the WERE Roman but we were still feeling an overall Greek influence at play. The room held perhaps 50 persons and towards the back was a beautiful wood fired oven all aflame busy baking pizzas for earlier customers than we. We sat and recieved the menu filled with traditional Italian dishes as well as an array of pizzas and salads. We ordered al a carte salads, I had a nicoise salad which came quickly and was fresh as could be and nicely assembled, the dressing came separately and was a delicious vinegarette. I had the Neopolitiana pizza, quite traditional with mozzerella, tomato, black olives and anchovies. It is my absolute favorite though it can and does get my gout going now and again, ih those delicious strong salty anchovies, I love 'em! Everyone had a different pizza, all were excellent by acclimation. We had a Chianti for the wine and though tempted by the amazingly constructed ice cream desserts we were all too stuffed to partake this time. La Pizz was exceptional, the service was a trifle slow but the overall dinner experience was excellent. Trois Lune gives 3 Moons to this fine restaurant.

No comments: