Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Cars, Autos and More Pieces of Junk...

The All VW garage (what car of mine has EVER lived in a garage?!) ended abruptly in the spring of 1972. The thoroughly worn out three year old 69 VW Bug with 110K miles on it (yes!) blew a cylinder and found itself in the VW shop in Mill Valley. The shop was adjacent to the Ford dealer.



A bright red brand new Ford Courier talked to me, saying, "just think of the junk you could haul in me and with a cover over the bed I could double as a camper on weekend fishing trips". Yes! So a deal was struck, I paid cash for the truck (flush then, not now) and drove the lil' charmer home to a surprised wife. Weeks followed with my adding a cassette player so I could listen to The Stones and The Beatles on the way to work each morning. I added some truck style mirrors so I could see better when hauling all that junk down the road too. It good decent mileage for then to, 20 -25 mpg and for a truck was reasonably comfortable. Sometime in 1974 we moved to Petaluma and the truck certainly performed yeoman-like duty during the transition; furniture, a pottery wheel, a 1/2 ton of clay and a small sailboat I built came along for the ride. She lived for another three years running me helter skelter around the Bay Area fixing customer's room-filling computers day in and day out. In the summer of 1977 she stayed home while I attended a golf tournament, my dear wife, having a morning appointment of her own, stayed back til later in the day and then she drove the truck to the golf club (tried too) and blew the engine when a water hose broke along the way in the 108 degree California heat! So long to the lil' red truck, cost more to fix than she was worth (even then). I sold her for scrap with 165,000 miles on her 5 1/2 years after I bought her. Verdict: A Car - Good, honest transportation.

No comments: