Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Tick, Tock, The Mouse Ran Up The Clock

http://tinyurl.com/amgrmy

This is what happens when good friends die and you are given boxes of his/her "stuff" 'cause you "were there" for him or her. Him deaths are perhaps more interesting than her auctions for guys unless you like old shoes, hair clips, old
jewelery...not bad stuff but not nearly as interesting as the treasure trove
I got when my best friend Jerry kicked the bucket a few years back. Loads
of stuff, shortware and crystal radios, ship's clocks, guns, old computer crap, inventions, model steam engines, all kinds of Boy Toys all in fine shape. No tools though and he HAD tools! I treasured the metal lathe and milling machine alas.
No cars came my way, though I wanted the MG TF...a beauty and perfect with less than 5000 miles on it! Red no less. Kelly and I had driven it and it BELONGED to us
one day...alas...no. But it had a connection to this clock I'm selling on ebay. It was one of the many toys and I think I need to get rid of it to someone who will really love it, mount it and use it for it's intended purpose in it's mechanical perfect life. It's at $787 right now after a quick 2 day run up on eBay, Jerry would be amazed. He had that clock thing and had bought it many years ago when he was in Hong Kong during his service for IBM during the Vietnam war. He owned the
TF then too but it was back home in a garage, fully covered, safe for years
to come. The clock was meant for it's perfect wooden dash and it would have
looked impressive thereon. When he built his new house in Mill Valley the
car came back to the house and was put away as before and a tempting distance
from the Huere Master-Clock that NEEDED to be mounted. Such was the life of the car and the clock. Jerry and I did many projects in
that house, he fixed from the ground up an ancient player piano, made it
perfect I tell you, and collected rare music rolls from all over that played
in it, I helped cut the tubing to replace the old rotten lengths that drove the thing. One day on a coffee stop at his house (pot was always on!...always!) I picked on him with a want I had...lets run the TF around town, out of 101 for a few miles, cross the GG Bridge in it, I'll take pics I told him. So we did, cranked up, it purred. He drove with his Beret on tilted at a jaunty angle and we roared (in a tiny way) off down the drive. As we crossed the bridge with the City ensconced in fog as it can be in the summer (just for the tourists mind you), he said "That clock
should be right here"...and he pointed just top the right of the steering
wheel...where 4 lightly placed pencil marks shown where the holes to mount
it would be drilled. I said "uh huh". We drove back over the bridge, stopped for a beer (maybe 2) at Ondine's in Sausalito. We drove back to his house and I helped him hide the TF away once again. That was a close as the Huere ever came to
being on that car. The car was back to sleep that day, locked in the garage
for another 10 years and the Huere went back into his sock drawer where it had
been since he came back from the Vietnam war in 1966. He was dead 6 months
later of throat cancer, a life long chain smoker gone to glory. I loved
him. What a character. So many stories, so little time.

No comments: