Friday, April 17, 2009

Drugs, How Screwed Americans Are

So today we ran off to the local pharmacy with our little list of drug needs, we both are highly medicated in these our senior years. One of the drugs I take daily was just prescribed about two months ago after my run in with simvastatin side effects. It's name is Fenofibrate 160 mg tablets. In the US just before we flew into Paris I bought 90 tabets, cost? $142. Our Canadian supplier could not get them to us before we left thanks to my ineptitude at scheduling when I notice I'm once more in low supply. They would have been only $79. Today when C brought the tab box out from her many drawers chock full of modern drugs and thier equivelents she anounced the price for 30 each as $10.75 US. Thats $32.25 for 90 tablets 160mg each. Less than half the Canadian price and less than 1/4 the US price gouging. We are so screwed by these drug companies, it is infuriating to say the least.
____
Home again I turned to my sourdough starters and had the requisite 2 cups of bubbly foamy "son" and proceeded to add flour, honey and finally water and salt and create a dough mass to await folding all afternoon long. The outcome was 2 loaves, one baked on a sheet pan, long and misshapened. The other in an iron pot with a lid as I've done before. Both came out beautifully, one went to D&W, the Scots and the other will be our sandwich loaf for the next few days.

No comments: