Monday, February 05, 2018

Jobs, now what?

My junior year at Selma Union High School had just started when I decided I needed money above and beyond my weekly 10 dollar allowance.  I needed to save for a car, pay for insurance, gas and all the rest (INSURANCE!), costs that yet I had not yet known too.


Woolworths

A friend of mine had worked during the summer at the Woolworth 5 and Dime across the street from the Park movie theater and told me he had just quit that morning.  I jumped on my bike and rode like the wind to the Woolworths, parked it and went inside.  I ignored the cashier, a girl about my age, and saw a mature woman loading some merchandise on a cart in the back of the store. I approached her and told her I was looking for work, she said,"wait here". I looked around and noted many of the boxes were from Japan, new labels in english were placed over the Japanese writing deascribing the contents.  I was fascinated.  "TOY TRUCK, 4 WHEEL","DOLL BABY, 6", "RULER 12" WOOD" on and on they went in stacks 4 feet high. She returned "Here you go Howard (She knew my name!), fill it out and return it to me by Monday afternoon."  I was elated to say the least, I rode home to fill the application.

No comments: