Monday, June 06, 2011

Courtyards, Weeds and Prickly Things

Yes I have those here. All of them and one of the preceeding. The weeds run the gamut from dandilions 4 feet tall to things I'd think we'd eat as salad if we could just get by the unknowns. Lots of berry vines too, where the hell did they come from anyway?! Horrible plants that don't mind taking over an entire garden if allowed to grow and grow through 20 months of absent owners like us! Shit! The roses are so very overgrown with new growth 10 feet long on some plants....yes 10 feet! Maybe more! They are hardy things those roses, old vine stock three inches in circumfrance on some. I cleared out a small section of ground near Kelly's kirchen door for Basil, Parsley and another often used spice/herb that I can't thi8nk of the name right now. I got done yesterday about 3, grabbed a beer and sat down under the unbrella in the courtyard to look at what wonder I had wrought. At 4 the first drops fell, big, fat, wet rain-like they were. They wetted the umbrella fully in a few minutes and by 4:10 I gave it up and ran inside as it was a torrent by then! Then it started to lightning and thunder, a mico-burst or two with winds near 50 mph took down the umbrella and tipped over the iron table it was anchored to. I watched from inside my cozy, rustic kitchen as the leaks of the century began spouting rain onto my cabinets and cooking utinsels! Oh my what a disaster! I kept up with it through using many copper pots to fill and empty as the water just ran and ran. This continued for almost three solid hours! Now France at large and even here drought conditions exist and this rain certainly won't end the drought but it sure helped out the plants I planted and the general condition of all others hereabouts. Nice timing too.

I WAS going to continue my yardwork today but the weather put me off again, not by raining but by the ground being soaked and under cloudy skies too boot. I hate mud. Bye for now...Thai Chicken and Eggplant Curry tonight. Whoopee!

No comments: