Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Wednesday, Blue Shies, Bourges

Whatever I did worked...are you vaguely familiar with computers and their networks? I had a problem with my email outgoing messages, incoming came in ok but nothing I wrote went out, just sat there in the Outgoing Messages box and aged past due date if you know what I mean. So this morning I decided to try something (trying something is the hypothesis of an idea rememeber that).
So I powerred down the router/switch/wireless device that sits between the two machines (I use Internet Connection Sharing from my wife's laptop that is connected to the iNet by a SFR 2G lousy slow connection) and powerred it back on. THEN I HIT THE RESET SWITCH. Then I could get into the routers setup page thru my browser, not before! (That's a hint). So I went thru the Wizard found therein and saw that no settings it had specified an ICS, it was either DSL, Cable Modem, Dialup or some strange Australian connection-type. So eventually I gave up, backed out of the wizard, hit rest again just in case I had changed something basic and then tried the connection.
Now the inet was D-O-W-N. I went to the laptop HOST and checked it's connections...it was complaining that there was an IP address conflict...a ha! So back to investigate on my machine...now IT wouldn't let me examine the router at all...pointed me to the HOST instead as the manager of the box. So over to the laptop once more and enter the famous 192.168.0.1 and go to the same useless script to setup the box/router again. Soooo, out of the wizard and back and reset again. Now what? So I went into the router and changed its IP address manually to 192.168.0.2 , brilliant huh? And here I am after resetting everything, doing the complete power down routine and all that. Huh? I STILL cannot get outgoing email to work at sonic.net...here's the error message, no Sonic has been contacted and are working with me to solve the riddle but to no avail so far...it's been over a week!
Qouth the Raven:

An unknown error has occurred.

Server: 'mail.sonic.net'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x80070057
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 465
Secure(SSL): Yes

So my big idea of resetting the router (Trendnet) has gone out the window as a reason for the outgoing mail problem. Shit!

It's now 8:12am and we will be going to Bourges it appears as the skies are blue and cloudless after last nights stormy look but no rain situation. Kelly wants some cloth and I want to wander the computer aisle at FNAC and DARTY to look at routers available.

Gotta bake bread today for us and clean up the kitchen after the rains which leak thru the roof seams where it meets the house next door. The @#$###@! drainline from the roof has come loose once again...thus the increased water, think deluge, and the dirty kitchen because of the rains.
Shit.

A while goes by, now I am at my favorite Bourges wattering hole Le Cujas. Inside at a table for 2, by myself as Kelly is off in another area of downtown. I order a large pression draft beer and promptly it is delivered for 5.50 Euros. Do the math American swine...1.43 X 5.50 = 7.50 or so USD. Wow, nice beer! We got up this am, rushed about the house then heqded out tothe Mondial Tissue store in the La Charite secion of Bourges. Kelly bought somematerial for a sewing project and I went off to Babou a bit up the road to buy a coupleof ceramic knives. One for Nick and one for me. Then back to pick op Kelly complaining of the price of yardage now, tres cher!

Bye for now, any ideas about the outgoing mail problem? Enter as a comment for me and I'll try it. Oh and Outgoing Mail worked before last week and no I did nothing to change it before it went south.

No comments: