Sunday, March 02, 2014

And TODAY....

Up at 5:30 again, thanks to the Kindle of Kats, Abii, Mucca and our resident Kat Scientist Cara Cat-Tour, hurr makeup already in place.  She slept the night away, tucked on my left side, head tucked into my armpit, whiskers bristling.  Turned on the bathroom sink and tub to a slow drip to both confound my readers in Southern California (a drought you know plus the perennial "water wars") and Fresno/Clovis. Nah, Nah, Nah to all of you desert dwellers.  That done I approach the Kitchen of Purgatory where the cleaning never stops to begin the mornings wipe down and garbage collection.  Two loads of recyclables later I tie up the garbage in it's bag and take it to the garbage can like a good male camel burden animal or beast.  I too spit.

Then on to other matters.  I'll bake a pie this morning to use those month old Fuji apples before they go to mushy hell.  I am not fixed to a certain recipe for my baking habits.  I bake MY way which, at times, yields something worth eating, sometimes a doorstop or various colors of hockey pucks.  Here's my newly found one...seems impeccable to me...we shall see.  First, I peel the apples with my handy apple peeler machine.  Does a fine job quickly.  Then as I dump the precious cargo into the water bath to keep their color (why do I do this?) I realize I need a lemon or two to complete my apple pie and that water.  So a few days ago I spied a neighborhood lemon tree with limbs of yellow beauties hanging over a fence, they will be mine!  I walk down to the vacant lot and yes...there they are about 8 feet up and yes they are invading this space nicely.  I see and grab the low lying fruit...3 each, none big, none quite as nice as those farther up but these will do the task of keeping those apples looking good until the oven gets done with them.  Next time I'll bring a small ladder.

One Apple Pie

Original recipe makes 1 - 9 inch pie       
  •        

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, white sugar and brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer.
  2. Place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with apples, mounded slightly. Cover with a lattice work crust. Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the crust. Pour slowly so that it does not run off.
  3. Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft.
 

No comments: