Friday, May 02, 2008

Daylight Savings Time

Blog Entry Sunday 30 March
Daylight savings time...YIPPEE! Across the equinox now and the days will get longer, possibly warmer..yesterday was a beaut...16C! 61! We actually sat outside in the sun for a short while in the late afternoon. Not a cloudless sky but enough to warm our backs like cats in a window. Went to Chateauroux yesterday to gather a few items like fuses to replace the blown ones from the night's dinner episode. I needed a few groceries too, celery, onions, eggplant for upcoming dinners this week. Found a new green grocer store Grand Frais (grand fresh) with a wonderful variety of beautiful and fresh vegies, ones I've never even seen or heard about before! Olives and nuts too. Auchan should take notice. A wide variety of meats too, but not much fish, a smallish cheese section. No cleaning products, no clothing, just foods of every kind. We bought Globe eggplants, red onions, garlic and though I had already bought celery from Auchan this looked better and was 20 cents cheaper. Oh well, now I know. It is a wonderful store that's for sure. As we drove away I knew we'd be back soon. I nurse guilt though for not being a participant of the street marche in Lignieres every Monday, it should be a must and for me it isn't. I love the IDEA of it but I don't revel in it like I should. Alas I'm hooked on the American Supermarket model and it has me by the gills. Give me Nugget and I'm a happy camper.
Still no telephone, no dsl either. If it hasn't been turned on by Friday next I'll go to see MC at the tourist board and see if she can sort this little disaster out.
Tonight we will have Kelly's cabbage with lardons (bacon) fried, this cabbage is sweet actually and has a lovely crunch. She thinks it's simple but I think it's brilliant as a side dish and well worth the small effort it requires.
Kelly's Kabbage:
1 Large common green cabbage, coarsly chopped
4 slices of smoked bacon, cut into 1/4” wide crosswise strips
water, ¼ cup.
Coarsly chop the cabbage, ½” - 3/4” wide chop. Cut up the bacon and place in a large frying pan over medium heat. After 2 minutes, add the chopped cabbage. Stir often to allow the bacon to loose it's fat and to keep the cabbage from sticking/burning. Cook until done to the tooth, a slight crunch is very nice. I find this side dish robust enough for boiled beef, various sausages, wild game etc.
Goodnight for now,
H

No comments: